Sustaining Revenue Growth with a Telesales Model
Today, executives are challenged with identifying how to stay ahead of the competition, decrease sales costs and increase revenue growth. Economic factors have reduced spending, lengthened sales cycles and driven executives to re-evaluate their current sales models. They can no longer rely on just the field sales organization to provide sales results. Telesales teams can complement a company’s existing sales and marketing functions and operate at a substantially lower cost model, increasing profitability. Telesales teams provide the ability to have a more disciplined approach to sales; typically leading to shorter sales cycles, higher productivity and effectiveness; which result in increased revenue growth.
Technology advances and economic challenges have changed the traditional sales model. Sales executives are dealing with a number of new challenges:
- Field sales forces are costly and difficult to manage and support
- Technology advances allow for more impersonal contact
- The internet and social media are creating a more informed buyer
- Reduced budgets and spending are changing buyer behavior
These challenges make it ideal to move forward with a telesales team, but it must be done right. Changing a sales organization can be a challenging undertaking; sales leaders must invest the time and money to execute this change properly.
Designing and implementing a telesales organization is not just a sales function initiative; it’s a company initiative. Effective implementation depends on a committed and disciplined management team focused on process improvements, key metrics and investment in technology.
Steps to transitioning to a telesales model:
- Define your sales strategy: Develop the roadmap for how you are going to optimize your current sales efforts
- Align your marketing and sales efforts: Quality lead programs produce sustainable volumes of the right leads into your sales funnel, saving you marketing dollars and time spent on poor leads
- Define your sales process: a clearly defined sales process provides your sales team the ability to effectively reduce the sales cycle and increase close ratios. [Be sure to read our earlier post on aligning your sales process to your target customers’ buying process to further accelerate sales.
- Update technology tools: Properly aligning your sales management system to your defined sales processes can provide you with an increase of up to 25% in productivity without adding headcount
- Align sales compensation to company goals: ensure sales representatives are motivated to achieve results that will benefit the company
- Train your sales professionals: Properly train new sales reps and have them producing revenue results quickly saves time and money
Changing how you currently do business and investing in a telesales team can be time-consuming. But failing to make changes today can often be costlier as budgets tighten, margins erode and you compete for customer’s attention. Telesales teams have proven to be more cost-effective than field sales teams and technology allows them to successfully compete and win the same opportunities.
Developing a high performing telesales team will allow you to:
- Accelerate your business
- Stay ahead of the competition
- Keep your customers happy
- Increase sales productivity
Improving sales results is the only sustainable driver of long-term business value. Sustainable great sales results can be achieved by focusing on developing a telesales organization that can scale, track and measure sales efficiency and drive quantifiable sales results.
Transitioning to a telesales model is an investment in your future. Customers are doing more business by phone and the internet than ever before. Companies who invest in telesales achieve:
- Increased lead/opportunity conversions
- Reduced sales cycles
- Higher revenue/head
- Improved sales performance overall
Transform your sales organization today and keep it performing ahead of the competition.
Tags: Sales Optimization