Keysight Technologies: Modern B2B Digital Experience Drives Growth
For Keysight Technologies, whose Silicon Valley DNA goes back to Hewlett-Packard and Agilent, the changing B2B buyer’s journey has prompted a seismic shift in the way their people, processes, and platforms need to work. They not only inherited archaic legacy technology but also a legacy of complexity, with a product portfolio spanning thousands of products and services. In the past, individual sales reps could help buyers navigate all the options. Today, digital-savvy B2B customers often prefer a more self-service approach, relying on a company’s website to research and buy online.
At the same time, Keysight’s electronic test and measurement business have evolved, from hardware- and product-centric company to one focused more on software, solutions, and services. To stay ahead of these changing needs, Keysight launched a digital transformation that would reimagine the B2B customer experience and modernize the digital marketing infrastructure. As the largest customer touchpoint, the website offers the chance to transform the digital customer experience and dramatically improve customer satisfaction. But the anticipated business impact goes well beyond a better website:
- Deeper customer engagement and revenue growth
- Faster time to market
- Improved internal efficiency and organizational responsiveness
- Lower costs
Keysight engaged PK on the initial phase of the website redesign and replatform initiative. This initial section of the website, the pre-sales software experience, unveiled systemic issues with the site. One challenge was Keysight’s custom web platform, which was almost 15 years old—and offered no modern capabilities for a responsive, customized digital customer experience. Marketing was not able to publish content or make updates without IT intervention, which slowed time to market. And there was no commerce capability, so customers could not purchase products directly from the website.
Digital Marketing Manager Carl Daw and his team, who manage the business side of Keysight’s customer-facing web presence, understand these challenges. They took advantage of the broader digital transformation initiative to adopt Adobe Experience Manager, a modern CMS that empowers marketers to easily manage web content themselves. It also supports a responsive design that makes personalized commerce experience easy and more effective.
Keysight was already using other Adobe Marketing Cloud solutions, including those for creative, analytics, and testing and targeting, so it became a natural fit to add Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) to the mix. This choice allowed Keysight to modernize the digital customer experience, starting with the site’s increasingly critical software pages.
With this phase of the web transformation underway, Keysight.com is becoming a true customer engagement engine, creating a more customer-centric sales experience while building a solid foundation for future development. The improved pre-sales software experience also supports Keysight’s broader transformation goals by building trust and the company’s reputation as a software leader. “This is really the first phase in a longer journey to have the entire website implemented on AEM,” Carl said. “Empowering marketing enables the business to not only be much more effective, but also more efficient.”
Our work with Keysight encompasses user experience design, content strategy, and technical implementation, with the guiding principle of simplifying the complexity. The new software pages provide a more customized, relevant experience focused on three key priorities:
- Engage customers. We designed and implemented a new pre-sales software experience that reduces abandonment and provides a clear path to trial and purchase. The experience optimizes conversion opportunities with personalization, try/quote/buy, webchat and promotions.
- Enable commerce. Until now, customers could price, quote and configure products—even arrange for delivery—but they couldn’t actually buy products from the website. The new experience closes the loop to complete the buyer’s journey and optimize conversion.
- Simplify operations. We built a foundational platform on AEM that integrates with legacy technology platforms while incorporating new functionality and allowing for future development. Modular content is structured to be reusable, expandable, forward-looking and responsive. Our content strategy defines plans for the globalization of country-specific sites, including a more effective content authoring experience and more efficient localization workflows.